Dinos

Dinos snatch up another star Winnipeg guard

By Ashton Chugh, April 2 2015

The University of Calgary Dinos men’s basketball team acquired top rookie prospect Torrez McKoy from Winnipeg. McKoy is expected to the fill a void at the point guard after Jarred Ogungbemi-Jackson retired this year.

McKoy averaged 29 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and five steals per game at the Mennonite Brethren Collegiate Institute.

McKoy said that former captain Jarred Ogungbemi-Jackson was instrumental in making his choice to suit up for the Dinos.

“I talked to Jarred and he told me how they treated him really well at the school and how he was so nervous to leave and that’s sort of like me too,” McKoy said. “It’s an unbelievable opportunity to replace him considering how successful his career was and how strong of a basketball school it really is.”

Dinos head coach Dan Vanhooren said that it was Torrez’s humble nature and good spirit that will make him a great fit with the current roster.

“Torrez comes from a good family,” Vanhooren said. “I think he’s a grounded individual who will fit in well with our group. He’s a quieter guy, but there’s no question that he leads as he plays. He’s also a focused student, and he will be an excellent fit with our team.”

The Dinos finished their season with a 12–8 record, which was good for fifth in the Pioneer division. They were swept out of the second round of the playoffs by the University of Fraser Valley 2–0.