Dinos women’s hockey extend winning streak in Crowchild Classic victory

By Emilie Medland-Marchen, January 21 2016 —

The Dinos women’s hockey team emerged victorious in the first half of their Crowchild Classic series against Mount Royal University, winning 3–2 on Jan. 21 at the Saddledome.

The U of C started the game on the offensive, taking control and hemming the Cougars in their own zone for much of the period, outshooting them 11–5.

An early goal for Dinos rookie Chelsea Court put the U of C up 1–0 against their crosstown rivals. A late Dinos penalty, however, nearly undid the team’s strong first period.

Dinos head coach Danielle Goyette was pleased by her team’s start, though she believed they could have done more.

“We could have put maybe two goals more in the first period,” Goyette said. “But that’s the problem with the game — we never know what’s going to happen. At the end of the day, our fans really came out big and we need to say thanks to them.”

Mount Royal picked up the pace in the second period, scoring two minutes in and tieing the game at 1–1.

But the Dinos fought back with a play from rookie Delaney Frey, who managed to infiltrate the Cougars’ defence and score off of a breakaway. Frey was surprised she got that prime opportunity.

“The girl got really close to our blue line and I got it and I realized it was a breakaway,” Frey said. “I was pretty nervous so I didn’t want to screw up. But in my head I was thinking ‘shoot!’”

Her goal briefly took back the lead for the Dinos until Mount Royal’s Janessa Jenkins scored her second goal of the night with two minutes left in the second period. The goal left the teams tied heading into the third period.

The Dinos, however, took the lead early in the third period with a goal from Rylee Smith, holding onto that lead for the remainder of the match.

Coach Goyette was impressed by Smith’s hustle on the ice.

“Rylee came back tonight and was able to give it everything she had,” Goyette said. “She knew what to do. And for me, plays like that show how much character she has.”

The Dinos will now look ahead to their next game against Mount Royal on Jan. 22 at the Father David Bauer Arena. With a record of 7–10–4, they’re hoping to right the ship on their lacklustre season.

“Our goal is to make the playoffs,” Goyette said. “As a team, we know it’s there, and we don’t take it for granted. I want the girls to enjoy the victory tonight, but we need to prepare for the game tomorrow and enjoy the time after.”