Melanie Woods

Campus Ticket Centre closing, UPass services relocated to Tech Stop

By Scott Strasser, July 27 2016 —

Due to a lack of student use and revenue, the University of Calgary’s Campus Ticket Centre will shut down.

“With the trend that’s happened recently of online ticketing, the outlet was just no longer viable,” said associate director Parking and Transportation Services Susan Austen. “[The ticket centre] did have ongoing expenses. They had payments for the space, staff and other miscellaneous costs associated with it.”

Located in MacHall across from Stör, the Campus Ticket Centre sold lottery tickets, tickets for TicketMaster events and Calgary Transit passes.

img024

The Campus Ticket Centre at a previous location in 1985. (Gauntlet file photo)

The most popular service the Ticket Centre provided was distributing stickers for the UPass. Austen said that service will relocate to the Tech Stop, attached to the U of C bookstore.

“The UPass remains a high priority for the university. It’s a very important program for us,” she said.

The Tech Stop is currently open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., but will extend its hours when the fall semester begins and most students pick up their UPass sticker.

Austen said the parking office located on the north side of McMahon Stadium also performs UPass-related services and is open five days a week.

The ticket centre had three part-time staff who have been offered packages and will receive other resources from the U of C human resources department.

According to Austen, the Students’ Union will decide who takes over the lease.

July 27 is the Ticket Centre’s last day of operations. Parking and Transportation Services managed the Campus Ticket Centre for 20 years.