Who’s Who in the SU: Haskayne Rep Maggie Shortt

By Kristy Koehler, November 26 2019—

In an effort to introduce new — or even continuing — students to representatives in the Students’ Union and in the Students’ Legislative Council, the Gauntlet is running the series, ‘Who’s Who in the SU.’ We introduced you to the executives, now let’s meet the Faculty Representatives. Haskayne School of Business Representative Maggie Shortt tells her story.

The Gauntlet: What do you do in your role?

Maggie Shortt: I act as a voice for students in the Haskayne School of Business and advocate for what they want within the Students’ Union and committees within the school. I also act as an informant for students on any questions they have regarding the SU and the services they provide. 

G: Why did you run for your role?

MS: I ran for my role because I became very passionate about my faculty during my first year in the Haskayne School of Business. The amazing professors I got to learn from, the remarkable clubs and club events that I got to take part in and the passionate students that I met made me want to make a positive impact within my faculty.

G:  What do you specifically plan to do within your role?

MS: One event that I am currently planning is a pancake breakfast this fall. It will be a “Get to Know You” for Haskayne students (or anyone that would like to attend) where students can meet myself and Huzaifah, the other Haskayne rep, and ask any questions they have about the SU.

G:  For someone who doesn’t know what Students’ Legislative Council is, how would you describe it? And how would you describe what it does?

MS: The Student Legislative Council (SLC) is a group of keen and passionate students that meet regularly (weekly during the fall/winter semesters) to discuss a wide variety of topics ranging from projects they are currently working on to campus-wide SU decisions. The SLC discusses and makes decisions regarding student, faculty and campus-wide issues within the University.

G: A year from now, when you are done your role, what do you want to look back on and see?

MS: I want to see a year where I engaged the students in my faculty. I will have committed myself to bettering students’ lives at Haskayne and have successfully brought forward their point of view while acting in my role within the SLC.

G: What’s one thing that you’ve learned now that you wish you had learned in the past?

MS: To immerse yourself in your faculty and everything that they have to offer. The more involved you are, the more you will meet new people and make new friends and gain experiences you otherwise would have missed out on! 

G: How can students get in contact with you if they need you?

MS: Anyone can reach me by e-mail via haskayne1@su.ucalgary.ca.

Read about your other elected representatives here.