Photo by Matt James

2022 SU general election: Faculty representative — Werklund School of Education

Along with the responsibilities outlined for all Students’ Legislative Council (SLC) members, faculty representatives are accountable for responsibilities particular to their role including: Reporting to students of their faculty the policies, positions and programs of the Students’ Union (SU), reporting to their faculty itself (like Dean’s Council) the policies, positions and programs of the SU, representing student constituents of their faculty at SLC, representing student constituents of their faculty on university committees and reporting to the VP Academic on matters of academic importance within their faculty.

DHWANI JOSHI

courtesy Dhwani Joshi

Dhwani Joshi is running uncontested as the Werklund School of Education representative, and is advocating for largely the same goals she set out in last years’ platform. 

Joshi spoke about how she became more involved this year on seeing out a multi-year project which will hopefully come to fruition soon — the creation of a multi-sensory room that was first proposed by former Education rep, Georgia East. 

Joshi said the biggest accomplishment she has achieved in her past term was creating a solid Instagram page for Werklund students to engage with. 

Although her platform discusses the lack of research opportunities for education students, Joshi explained how there are research opportunities out there for those in Werklund but that not enough has been done to get the word out about them. 

She plans on making these opportunities more available through platforms such as Instagram and D2L. 

One of Joshi’s biggest goals is to create opportunities to reduce burnout and support students’ mental health. 

While there are workshops already held by the Education Students’ Association, Joshi plans on hosting her own workshops for students and faculty where they voice their concerns or needs, as well as provide de-stress kits specifically for Werklund students — especially with teacher burnout being at an all-time high.

Joshi isn’t advocating for anything very ambitious in her platform, and Education students can expect more of the same from her for next year.

All undergraduate students in the Werklund School of Education can vote YES or NO on their ballot for Dhwani Joshi as FACULTY REPRESENTATIVE or ABSTAIN from voting.