Graphic by Thomas Oldreive

Fall activities around Calgary

By Julieanne Acosta, October 24 2023—

Before it becomes far too cold to withstand standing outside for long periods of time, it’s time to get your friends and loved ones together for some fun fall activities around Calgary. With this list of things happening around town, there is no excuse to not make the most of this very short season. 

WinSport Pumpkins After Dark 

This family-friendly experience showcases over 10,000 hand-carved pumpkins. The event, located outdoors at Winsport, Canada Olympic Park, has free public parking and easily accessible public transit options. Visitors can also expect live pumpkin carving demonstrations, live entertainment, food trucks and much more. 

Fall Days and Harvest Lights

Located at Calgary Farmyard, this event runs until the end of October and has something for everyone on Fridays and Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Fall Days events run from 9:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. and features petting farms, pig races, bunnies, games and so much more for $21.95 a person. After 5 p.m. the corn maze on site remains dark while the rest of the grounds light up with fun colours. For those who want to experience both events, guests who purchase tickets for Fall Days after 3:30 p.m. may stay on the farm for the evening Harvest Lights events. 

ScreamFest

If you’ve been to Calgary before around Halloween, you’ve definitely heard of ScreamFest. This event runs every weekend in October from 7 p.m. to midnight. If you’re into horror movies and getting scared, ScreamFest features six haunted houses that will undoubtedly creep you out. 

Films at the Fort: The Shining

For the horror movie lovers out there, the Fort — located in East Village — is doing a showing of The Shining on Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m. at the Burnswest Theatre. The tickets cost $12 and include popcorn and after-hours admission to the interpretive centre as well. 

12-Hour Halloween Horror Movie Marathon

Another one for horror movie lovers — this overnight marathon will be one to remember. From 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. you can watch seven horror movies throughout the night with intermissions between each. Not to mention there’s a costume contest, burgers at midnight and free breakfast served at 5 a.m. before the final movie of the night. All this can be yours for just $20. To learn more, take a look at our interview with the organizers of this event in the Arts & Culture section.