Courtesy BalletBoyz

BalletBoyz dance into Calgary for Life. show

By Fernando Moreno, February 7 2017 —

Founded by Michael Nunn and William Trevitt in 1999 in London, England, BalletBoyz are bringing an unusual on-the-road twist to ballet. They will present their show Life. in Calgary from Feb. 16–18 at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.

Trevitt says the name of the group has interesting origins.

“It dates back to a TV show where we had an alternate title which was much better, but [there was] a legal problem with it so the production company said ‘we’re going to call your show BalletBoyz’ and we said ‘what a terrible name’ and they said ‘think of something else by Monday’ and we never got around to it,” Trevitt says. “In some ways it seems ridiculous but actually so many people like it and recognize it and understand it that we’ve grown to love it.”

Trevitt says the company has evolved over its history.

“The company has been running for 16 years now. For the first nine or 10 years, myself [and] the other director Michael Nunn were the dancers with some other people as well. Then in about 2009 we stopped dancing, we retired and hired 10 young men to replace us and that’s where we are now,” Trevitt says.

Trevitt says BalletBoyz works to make their shows stand out from other dance companies.

“Being an all-male contemporary dance company is unusual for starters, but I think one of our main objectives is to ensure that the performances are entertaining,” he says.

Life. is choreographed by Javier de Frutos and Pontus Lidberg and tells stories about life and love through abstract dance.

“It’s a real mixture of work on the show. I hope the audiences appreciate that,” he says.

Tickets are available online. The show runs from Feb. 16–18 at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium.

For more information visit  www.albertaballet50.com