What is Voices?

Voices is dedicated to amplifying the words of those who don’t always have the opportunity to speak. Our opinions section will still be lively and vibrant, but Opinions just doesn’t seem like the right section for the lived experiences of many students. Voices aims to provide a platform for diverse communities to tell their stories, in their own words.

The following columns are currently housed under our Voices section.

Spill the Chai

Spill the Chai is a weekly column that seeks to showcase the talents and achievements of the South Asian and Middle Eastern communities at the University of Calgary campus, but also “spills the chai” on the issues they face on a daily basis, by speaking power into the narratives of the many students of colour on campus.

The Contemporary Dilemma

There are thousands of strong and fearless men, women and children all over the world. These are the people that wake up, despite the atrocities they are facing, and push forward without looking back. These are the people that sacrifice everything so their families will have a better future. This is what the contemporary dilemma highlights. It is about being the “voice for the voiceless” as I like to call it. I can think of countless human rights abuses occurring all over the world that only a handful of people are aware of. This column is about putting the spotlight back on minority groups that have been silenced. It is about shedding a light on issues occurring today to educate others. It is about using our position of privilege to alleviate the monstrosities occurring around the world in the best way — through our writing.

The Muslim Voice

This column aims to give voice to Canadian Muslims in order to highlight their achievements, perspective, experiences and struggles as well as explore Islamic history related to contemporary events

Year One

Year One is a column about the first-year experience at the University of Calgary. 

Around the World

Around the World is a column about the international student experience and a platform for the voices of those students to be heard. It aims to raise topics often avoided and issues often unspoken about as they pertain to international students at the University of Calgary. 

Read below for a statement from Aymen Sherwani, our Voices editor.

Hi everyone!

My name is Aymen Sherwani and I’m your new Voices Editor at the Gauntlet. I’m a fourth-year Political Science major with a minor in Law and Society.

Our new Voices section will provide student writers with a channel to amplify their voices about their lived experiences, as well as giving them an opportunity to shed light on the issues of communities and people that aren’t present in the mainstream media. We are dedicated to bringing light to political, social, and identity issues that have been traditionally sidelined, and will stand behind students who wish to showcase the stories of their identities and vulnerabilities.

We, at the Gauntlet, recognize that words hold a lot of power, and encourage students to speak their truths in a time where the world needs it more than ever. Your voice deserves to be validated. Your voice matters.

—Aymen