Opinions & Features Workshop (Oct 26th)

What is Voices?

Voices is dedicated to amplifying the words of those who don’t always have the opportunity to speak. Our opinions section will still be lively and vibrant, but Opinions just doesn’t seem like the right section for the lived experiences of many students. Voices aims to provide a platform for diverse communities to tell their stories, in their own words.

The following columns are currently housed under our Voices section.

Spill the Chai

Spill the Chai is a weekly column that seeks to showcase the talents and achievements of the South Asian and Middle Eastern communities at the University of Calgary campus, but also “spills the chai” on the issues they face on a daily basis, by speaking power into the narratives of the many students of colour on campus.

Read below for a statement from Aymen Sherwani, our Voices editor.

Hi everyone!

My name is Aymen Sherwani and I’m your new Voices Editor at the Gauntlet. I’m a fourth-year Political Science major with a minor in Law and Society.

Our new Voices section will provide student writers with a channel to amplify their voices about their lived experiences, as well as giving them an opportunity to shed light on the issues of communities and people that aren’t present in the mainstream media. We are dedicated to bringing light to political, social, and identity issues that have been traditionally sidelined, and will stand behind students who wish to showcase the stories of their identities and vulnerabilities.

We, at the Gauntlet, recognize that words hold a lot of power, and encourage students to speak their truths in a time where the world needs it more than ever. Your voice deserves to be validated. Your voice matters.

—Aymen

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!