The Gauntlet Board of Directors is hiring an Editor-in-Chief for the upcoming academic year.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and three samples of related writing pieces via email to Board Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is Monday, March 9, 2020 at 4 p.m.
Editor-in-Chief (May 2020 – April 2021)
Description of role:
The Editor-in-Chief (EIC) is responsible for the editorial wellbeing of the Gauntlet Publications Society. Whether it is the day-to-day publishing of articles and visuals or maintaining working relationships with on- and off-campus stakeholders, this role demands someone who is able to balance multiple priorities and deadlines while also managing a team of approximately 10 editors. The position is a one-year, salaried contract beginning May 1, 2020 and ending on April 30, 2021 and reports to the Board of Directors.
- Current undergraduate student at the University of Calgary
- Experience in Canadian Press Style publishing
- Organizational and management skills
- Technical skills:
- Adobe InDesign
Responsibilities within role:
- Maintaining and posting regular office hours
- Editorial duties:
- Organizing, attending and leading weekly editorial/pitch meetings
- Coordinating with the Editorial Board in regard to each section’s specific quota
- Copy-editing and finalizing articles before print and online.
- Stepping in to write articles when section Editors fail to meet quota or are unavailable to attend specific events.
- Being able to respectfully interact with a broad scope of individuals (i.e. all levels of government, student leaders, University of Calgary administration, etc.).
- Managerial duties:
- Communicating with each Editor to ensure they’re following Gauntlet writing policies and volunteer etiquette.
- Work closely with the Business Manager to ensure a fiscally responsible organization.
- Liaise with the Students’ Union and University Media Relations.
- Help facilitate interviews for volunteers and Editors.
- Ensuring staff accountability and performance management of staff.