Coming weekend provides plethora of sport options

By Kristy Koehler, October 26 2018 —

This coming weekend is a sports fan’s dream, filled with high-stakes matchups, playoff games and celebratory season openers. The Dinos play at home in a plethora of events — these home-field-advantage spectacles will give you a break from midterms.

Basketball:

The Dinos men’s team will celebrate last season’s national championship win with a banner raising on Friday, Oct. 26. This is the team’s first home game after last year’s first-ever national title win. The Dinos are hoping for an unprecedented repeat this year. The team will hoist the banner at 7:45 p.m. with the Dinos hosting the University of Regina Cougars in the Jack Simpson immediately following.

The women’s basketball team also opens their Canada West conference season on Oct. 26. Last year, the team took home the bronze in a nail-biting 6563 win over Trinity Western and edged the University of Laval 7168 for the consolation final in the U Sports National Final 8. The women’s game begins at 6 p.m.

Keepsake replicas of the men’s championship banner will be given to the first 300 fans through the doors.

Wrestling:

The Dinos wrestling team hosts a dual meet in the Red Gym on Friday, Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. The University of Calgary is the host school for the U Sports National Wrestling Championships in February, so look for the Dinos to attempt early domination of the standings.

If you’ve never seen wrestling live before, this is a great opportunity. Both the men’s and women’s teams will be competing. Following the dual meet, there is a tournament on Saturday, Oct. 27 from 9 a.m.–4 p.m., also in the Red Gym.

Cross Country:

Looking to build on the success of their first two races, the Dinos cross country running team competes in the Stewart Cup at Canmore Park in Calgary on Saturday, Oct. 27. The women’s eight-kilometre race begins at noon with the men’s five-kilometre following at 12:45 p.m. After sweeping the Sled Dog Open races in September, the Dinos are on track to dominate the Stewart Cup. Look to Dino Russell Pennock to claim the top spot.

Soccer:

The Dinos women’s soccer team is entering the Canada West quarter-final after a 13-game winning streak. The team hasn’t lost since their first game, finishing the season with a 13–1 record. The Dinos play Oct. 28 and willl face the winner of Oct. 26’s Saskatchewan/Victoria matchup. The game takes place at McMahon Stadium and kicks off at noon.

Swimming:

The Dinos swim team plays host to a dual meet on Friday, Oct. 26 in the U of C’s Aquatic Centre. Races are from 3–5 p.m. The races kick off the swimming season and with Canada West championships coming up at the end of November, the Dinos look to take an early lead in the standings.