Errrybody in the Clubs gettin’ tipsy

By Katy Atherholt, September 18 2014 —

At the beginning of every fall and winter semester, the Students’ Union showcases the many student-run clubs on campus with Clubs Week, a chance for students to connect with like-minded peers, join a few clubs and make new friends.

“The purpose of [Clubs Week] is to promote and display clubs to the community,” said Students’ Union vice-president student life Jonah Ardiel. “There’s something for everybody.”

According to the SU, there are 322 sanctioned clubs on campus, though not all are involved in Clubs Week.

The clubs participating has doubled since 2006, from 75 to 195.

Clubs range from political,  cultural, philanthropic to academic.

Sports fans have the Dinos Red Army, a group committed to showing school spirit at varsity athletic events. The Ski Club organizes monthly trips to resorts around Canada. It’s also the university’s oldest club.

For fans of the wizarding world, a quidditch team hosts games of the formerly fictional sport on campus.

For students interested in public service, there are 85 clubs supporting local and global causes, including the University of Calgary chapter of Amnesty International.
There are two sororities and four fraternities for those inclined to “go Greek,” as well as numerous clubs focused on culture, religion and sustainability.

To help students sift through the clubs list this fall, a quiz on the SU website will match you with clubs according to your interests .

Each April, awards are given out to clubs on campus for their outreach and achievements throughout the year. The categories include Club of the Year, Best New Club and The Leadership Award.

Clubs Week concludes Friday, Sept. 19, but clubs are always accepting new members. Check out the SU’s webpage if you feel like getting involved mid-semester.