Foothills campus gym renovations near completion

By Fabian Mayer, October 23 2014 —

Renovations on the Kinetix Fitness and Wellness Centre, located in the basement of the Foothills campus, are set to finish by December.

Students’ Union medicine representative Carstenn Kreuger said the gym is being renovated due to frequent use.

“It’s pretty small also and some of the equipment has been down there for a very long time and hasn’t been well taken care of,” Kreuger said.

The renovations bring new equipment including exercise bikes and workout benches. The project was funded through a Quality Money grant worth $23,000.

Students will still be able to use the gym during renovations.

Renovations on two other campus gyms were completed this summer. Work was done on the outside of the Kinesiology Complex that houses the red and gold gyms.

“The original impetus came from the fact that there were funds available for a project like this and the gyms needed a few things,” said Don McSwiney, director of communications for the faculty of kinesiology.

The heating and cooling systems had not been replaced since 1962, when the red and gold gyms first opened. The look of the building was updated and windows were added to allow more light into the gyms.

McSwiney said that some of the renovations were made with possible changes to the Kinesiology Complex in mind.

Most of the $4 million project was funded through the Alberta government’s capital upgrade fund.

“When students write exams there in the winter and there’s better air circulation and it’s warmer, I think they’re going to see the benefits of it,” Mcswiney said.