2015 CFL draft shows progress of Dinos football program

By Sonny Sachdeva, June 11 2015 —

The 2015 Canadian Football League (CFL) draft is in the books. The University of Calgary Dinos football program can walk away pleased after dominating the event.

Two Dinos players from the team’s 2014 roster were among the top three selections in the draft. In total, three Dinos were taken in the top 10.

Former Dinos offensive linemen Sukh Chungh and Sean McEwen were selected second and third overall by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Toronto Argonauts, respectively.

Wide receiver Jake Harty rounded out the Dinos’ top-10 presence. His name was called by the Ottawa Redblacks with the 10th overall selection, which was also the first pick of the draft’s second round.

The three top-tier selections cap off an excellent 2014 season for the Dinos football team — one that saw them post the best offensive numbers in the country.

“It’s exciting,” said Dinos head coach Wayne Harris. “All the guys are well-deserved — it’s a great group of young men that have made the commitment to excellence, and it has paid off for them tonight.”

Four other Dinos had their names called at the CFL Draft as well.

Linebacker Adam Konar was selected by the Edmonton Eskimos in the third round, followed by linebacker Tanner Doll and defensive linemen Tyler Langlais, who were taken 28th and 47th overall by the Ottawa Redblacks and Saskatchewan Roughriders, respectively.

The 2015 draft’s very last pick — 62nd overall — was an especially interesting one for the Dinos.

After seeing six players get the call, Dinos quarterback Andrew Buckley was selected by his hometown Calgary Stampeders, adding another honour to his already impressive career.

Buckley seemed like a longshot to hear his name called. There was only one other quarterback taken in the draft — and it was Brandon “Air Canada” Bridge, one of the finest Canadian quarterback prospects in recent history. Bridge was selected 31st overall by the Montreal Alouettes.

However, after racking up the Hec Creighton Trophy, Russ Jackson Award and the Frank Gnup Trophy, as well as being named a first-team All-Canadian, CIS Male Athlete of the Year and City of Calgary Male Athlete of the Year — all during the 2014 season — the Stampeders decided to give Buckley a shot.

“I couldn’t be happier than to be drafted by my hometown team,” said Buckley. “I’ve been watching the Stamps and a season-ticket holder for 18 years, so to get my name called by the Stamps is an absolute dream come true.”

The Dinos have a well-established presence in the CFL. The U of C has had players selected in the draft’s top 10 in six of the last 10 years. But the last three years still mark a significant step forward.

In 2013, Dinos defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh was drafted first-overall by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. When the Calgary Stampeders finished atop the CFL as Grey Cup champions in 2014, Dinos running back Matt Walter played a key role in the club’s success, finishing second on the team with 453 yards and two touchdowns.

This season marks the first time in the last decade that Dinos players were selected with such frequency in the draft’s early stages.

The superb result shows just how far the Dinos football program has come. With Dinos standouts moving on to CFL stardom and more promising young prospects on their way this season, the U of C is well on its way to becoming the finest university football program in the country.