Former Dinos basketball player charged with sexual exploitation

By Emilie Medland-Marchen, July 15 2016 —

A former University of Calgary Dinos athlete was charged with sexual exploitation of a young person while working as an assistant coach with the U of C’s Junior Dinos program.

Kristie Sheils, a former guard for the Dinos women’s basketball team, was charged by Airdrie RCMP on July 11 after a complaint was issued July 1. Sheils appeared in court July 12 and was released on a recognizance order to abide by release conditions.

Sheils’s release conditions require she have no contact with the victim and no contact with any children under the age of 18 unless in the presence of an adult who is at least 21 years of age. The conditions also state she not be employed or engaged in volunteer service that would put her in a position of trust or authority to children under the age of 18.

The name of the victim cannot be released as they are a youth.

In response to the charge, the U of C issued the following statement:

“The U of C is cooperating with RCMP on an investigation related to an assistant basketball coach with the Junior Dinos program,” the statement read. “The accused was a member of the Dinos women’s basketball team for four years (2012 – 2016), was a coach with the Junior Dinos basketball program for three years and recently completed a bachelor of arts degree. She has been relieved of her coaching duties.”

Junior Dinos is a youth program run through the Dinos athletics department that hosts sport development camps throughout the spring and summer semesters. Youth aged seven to 17 are able to register for the camps.

In their statement, the U of C said the hiring process is rigorous and safety is a top priority.

“The university takes the safety of everyone on campus very seriously and follows strict hiring procedures for coaching staff, including mandatory vulnerable sector checks when working with youth,” they said.

Airdrie RCMP and the U of C will not release further statements on the investigation while the matter is before the courts.

The police request that anyone with further information about this case contact the Airdrie RCMP or the Calgary Police Service.