Three positions contested in Students’ Union byelection

By Garrett Wachoski-Dark, October 2 2017 —

The Students’ Union is holding byelection for the positions of Cumming School of Medicine representative, Werklund School of Education representative and senate representative from Oct. 1113.

Four candidates are running for medicine representative, two for education representative and three for senate representative.

Interim faculty of social work representative Marissa Bennett is acclaimed, as she is the only candidate who put her name forward for the role. The faculty of veterinary medicine representative positions remains vacant.

Chief returning officers Dave Antoniak and Hamnah Altaf are there to ensure that the byelection runs smoothly.

They said voting can be done online or at two voting booths that will be set up on campus.

“One booth is going to be in the MacHall North Courtyard and the other is going to be in the Professional Faculties Building link to Murray Fraser Hall,” Altaf said. “We are mostly promoting online voting. Even at those booths we will have laptops where we can assist the voters.”

When asked about the byelection, most students did not know about it but said they will vote if they have the chance.

“If I get more information, for sure,” first-year education student Sarah Davey said.

Stephanie Schmidt, another education student, said she will be voting for her faculty representative in the byelection. Schmidt is hoping that issues such as class sizes and facility upgrades will be addressed by the candidates.

“It’s very cramped, it’s very hot,” Schmidt said.

According to Antoniak and Altaf, voter turnout for byelections varies each year depending on which positions are vacant.

Candidate’s platforms can be found online on the SU website. Unofficial results will be announced at 5:00 p.m. on Oct.13 in the Red Room at the Den.