Photo courtesy Belle Hunt

Hydrating fruit juices for the summer heat

By Tori Taylor, June 4 2019 —

Image by Belle Hunt

Hydration can come in all sorts of fun forms. Enjoy your summer with a plethora of fresh-squeezed juices that will keep you cool, hydrated and replenished. Fruits and vegetables contain high levels of antioxidants that fight off toxins. As well, fresh juices are packed sky-high with the vitamins and nutrition that your body needs to counter the dehydrating heat.

Lemon:

Lemon juice is among the best for your whole body. It has many detoxifying properties and adds zest to any beverage. Lemon is high in vitamin C and is a great digestive aid. You can add lemon and a teaspoon of raw honey to your next ice water or squeeze it into an iced tea.

Watermelon:

Watermelon is easily a juicing favourite and, eaten raw, this fruit is an awesome hydrator as it’s made up of mostly water. It’s high in vitamins A, C and B6 — properties that are excellent for your skin and blood circulation — and lycopene — a powerful antioxidant that improves heart health and fights free radicals. Lemon contains a blend of amino acids that strongly benefit your immune system. If you’re looking for a great DIY recipe, try blending or juicing apple, lemon, orange, broccoli, spinach and as much watermelon as you’d like.

Cucumber:

Cucumber is a well-loved water accessory. But cucumber water and juices are much more than a fancy flourish at an expensive spa. This vegetable is fibre-rich and detoxifying. Cucumbers have anti-inflammatory properties that play big roles in your physical and mental health. Cucumbers are high in all of the B vitamins,  a group of vitamins that contribute to healthy stress management and mood stability. Try out a juice recipe heavier on the vegetables — blend or juice kale, kiwi, lemon or orange, celery and more cucumber than your spa’s waiting room.

Coconut:

Coconut water is a must-have. It’s full of electrolytes and micronutrients and has higher potassium levels than a banana. Because of how electrolyte-packed it is, coconut water will give most sports drinks a hydration run for their money. Adding coconut water to your water bottle on a hike or a smoothie for a snack will keep your body replenished in the heat. Staying hydrated will go a long way in avoiding heat stroke and dehydration headaches or fatigue.

Orange:

Orange juice is one of the most popular juices year-round. Like lemon, this fruit has several benefits. Oranges are high in vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties, making them a valuable fruit for strong immune system function and digestion. Oranges can be fresh-squeezed and drank on their own. Or, you might choose to add oranges to your water bottle for an extra citrus pop.