Healthy ways to keep your metabolism strong

By Tori Taylor, July 23 2019 —

Aging comes with a whole host of wonderful benefits. Watching wrinkle lines start to set in can only be beat by the first time you hear yourself say, “I don’t know if I can do that right now— my back is really sore and my left knee has been bothering me.” Of the many joys you’ll be receiving with each new birthday, a slower metabolic rate is likely to be included.  Don’t get discouraged — there is hope!

Luckily, there are several habits you can start that will strengthen your metabolism and allow youth to linger beyond an otherwise early expiry. Like most things, staying strong and healthy comes down to diet and exercise. A well-balanced lifestyle will always be the best situation for your body to thrive. Making sure that you find an equilibrium between healthy eating, sleep and movement creates an environment for you to manage stress and the general wear-and-tear of life without experiencing as much of a physical decline.  

Regular snacks and meals:

Eat every three hours. It should be every three hours that your body feels hungry.  Alternating between healthy snacks and smaller meals throughout the entire day will keep your metabolism running steady. It can feel counterintuitive, especially if you’re looking to shed a few pounds, but eating so often is actually the frequency that regulates your metabolic rate and keeps your hunger satisfied. By staying on top of hunger, you can avoid the cravings and starving feelings that lead to larger amounts of less healthy food later in the evening. Get your healthy fats and proteins in! Make sure you are eating lots of protein and good fats at each meal and in your snacks. They will keep you fueled up and give your body more substance to burn those sugary junk foods.

Green tea and coffee:

Both of these wonderful beverages have become a staple part of most people’s daily routines. Drinking green tea or coffee — avoid adding excessive sugar — can actually increase your metabolic rate by up to 11 per cent. Interestingly, the more active and healthy you are the more caffeine seems to boost your metabolic speed. Be sure to drink lots of water if you are drinking coffee or tea. Coffee is a diuretic and can dehydrate you if you aren’t having enough water. 

Spicy food:

You don’t need to tell me twice to order spicy Pho or add sriracha to my food. There are certain spices that have long since been known to keep the body’s metabolism up to speed. The ingredient that is responsible for the boost is called capsaicin — it’s found in most pepper varietals. For the people who don’t like spicy foods, this is not going to be an option that works well. But, for those who enjoy added heat this is an awesome way to keep your metabolic rate high and circulation strong. Capsaicin helps regulate steady blood flow. All the more reason to ask for extra-spicy salsa at your next taco extravaganza.

Stand up:

This one is quite simple. Sit less. It really does matter. So many of us have desk jobs or end up spending hours upon hours sitting down. Depending on how you’re sitting it can be bad for your back, hips and neck. If you can find more time during your day to stroll around or stand up instead of sitting you will notice a difference in how you feel at the end of the day. You don’t necessarily have to go out and purchase a standing-desk or anything trendy like that, but setting a time to get up for a water break can work just fine. 

Water. Always more water:

People who drink water versus beverages laden with sugar experience healthier bodies and stronger metabolisms. This is not only because sugary drinks are filled with empty calories but water — calorie free — also temporarily speeds up your metabolic rate. It has been proven by several studies that drinking an extra half litres of water a day can speed it up by 10-30 per cent for around one hour of your day.  Apparently, you can increase the calorie burn by a little bit more by choosing cold water because your body requires energy to heat it up. Water will also help fill you up when you might think you are hungry but in fact may just be thirsty — a common situation people confuse. 

Workout:

Finding time to move your body and take care of your physical self is so crucial to your overall well-being. Making the effort to sweat for 30 minutes a day is the general rule of thumb. You can keep your metabolic rate high by lifting weights or training in higher intensity intervals. This means quick bursts of full energy that leave you exhausted after 45 seconds of exertion. Bootcamp-style workouts are perfect for this kind of energy burn and blast calories like nothing else. Moving your body maintains healthy circulation and hormone release, builds stronger muscles and keeps your heart and lungs in good shape.

No need to feel discouraged by the aging process because education is power! Start to add healthy habits into your day-to-day routine and you’ll feel noticeably better in several areas of your health. A strong metabolism results in a happier and healthier version of you!