Essential oils that may help you manage stress

By Tori Taylor, August 25 2019 —

Aromatherapy is an age-old practice and one that should not be overlooked. If you own a diffuser then you have likely tried out a few of the below-mentioned oils. If you are interested in experimenting with how essential oils can lower your stress or calm you down after a long day, I suggest browsing Amazon for affordable diffusers. There are several at lower prices than you will find in brand name stores. You can also place drops of oil on clothing or pillow cases to evoke the same relaxation without using a diffuser at all. Aromatherapy is a wonderful, noninvasive method of naturally reducing stress and anxiety. If you struggle with feeling tense and overwhelmed it may be in your best interest to try out a few different types of oil.

Valerian:

This herb is widely used as a sleep aid. It is often a main ingredient in sleep sprays, capsules and aromatherapy blends. Valerian tea is a common sleepy-time beverage. You can find a variety of valerian products for relaxation and stress relief. 

Lavender:

By far the most popular essential oil, lavender oil can be dropped into an aromatherapy diffuser before bed or while studying.  You can place a couple of drops on your sleeve, hair scrunchie or collar to keep the scent throughout the day as an extra defense against stress.  It is said that lavender oil calms anxiety by affecting the brain’s limbic system — the brain’s emotional centre. Try adding lavender oil, bath bombs or bubble bath to your next bath and see if it works.

Jasmine:

This oil has a very floral scent. It can be found in green tea blends and many bath products.  There have been studies suggesting that jasmine oil may help feelings of relaxation, as well as a romantic mood-setter. Jasmine is an aromatherapy oil that is linked to stress relief, but unlike many other essential oils it does not evoke sleepiness. Jasmine oil may be the perfect scent to drop onto your clothing when writing an exam or if you’re nervous about heading out on a date.

Chamomile:

Chamomile is a popular tea used for its calming effect. This flower can be used in baths, beverages and aromatherapy diffusers. Some recent research has pointed towards chamomile being used as a natural anxiety-relief for people suffering from generalized anxiety disorders. 

Ylang Ylang:

This flowery-scented oil may relieve stress and improve poor moods. It is a floral herb native to India. Studies have suggested that ylang ylang may be an effective natural aid when it comes to high blood pressure, heart-rates, unstable moods and as an aphrodisiac. Try blending ylang ylang with lavender or jasmine for an extra-relaxing bath or study break. 

Clary Sage:

Clary sage has an earthy, woody scent that can be quite strong. It is best used diluted with slightly lighter scents like jasmine or lavender. It has been known to help lower cortisol levels in the body. This is another oil that can be used as to inspire romance because of its ability to calm the mind and relax the body. 

Essential oils have risen in popularity over the years and there is definitely something to be said for the way they impact our bodies. At the end of the day, only you will know what your favourite stress relieving aromas are. You can explore a few of these options and decide for yourself which ones help calm you down after a rough day.