CBC hosts nationwide Battle-of-the-Bands

By Curtis Wolff, September 4, 2014 — 

For those about to rock, CBC Music and TD Bank are launching a nationwide contest to find the best band on Canada’s campuses.

CBC Music’s Rock Your Campus contest is accepting submissions from student musicians of all genres until Sept. 14.  Artists — whether in a band or solo — can submit one song for the contest. The public can vote for their favourites on the contest website from Sept. 15 to Oct. 2.

Once regional and national voting narrows the entries down to five songs, a celebrity panel — including Grammy nominated record producer Cirkut, Juno award winner Max Kerman from the Arkells and CBC Radio 2 host Talia Schlanger — will select the best tune. The winner will be announced on Oct. 27.

The grand prize includes $10,000 and a concert on their campus, including promotion. The winning artist will receive airplay on CBC Radio 3 and a chance to shoot a music video.

CBC Music is proud to partner with TD to help to bolster the next generation of Canadian artists,” said Mark Steinmetz, director of music programming for CBC English Services in a press release. “As the home of Canadian music, it’s vital for us to continue to provide a platform for young artists to showcase their talents.”