Sled Island day 1 recap

By Liv Ingram, June 25, 2015—

Hundred Waters perform at Central United Church // Liv Ingram

Feverfew, Hundred Waters, Son Lux — Central United Church

Starting Sled Island with the Wednesday night show at Central United Church has become a tradition of mine. After Rhye brought down the house with a standing-room only set last year, I knew it was wise to arrive early.

The stage hosted a gorgeous electric harp glowing under church lights, one that the stained-glass Jesus overlooking the stage surely approved of. The instrument belonged to Ferverfew, the night’s opener. The classical harp fused with unearthly vocals, creating an ethereal atmosphere befitting its environment.

As the set continued, the music and emotion grew into a bacchanal crescendo that erupted into frenetic energy. After Feverfew’s set, the band sold tapes that included free tarot readings. Regretfully, I didn’t purchase one.

Florida’s Hundred Waters only built on the excitement. Lead singer Nicole Miglis’ lighter-than-air vocals carried introspective lyrics into every corner of the church. Pairing organic sounds with electronic ones, Hundred Waters created a lush soundscape so immersive I lost sense of where I was. Their flawless, emotional set was met with a well-deserved standing ovation.

Closing out the evening was Son Lux, a group that blends post-rock with alternative hip-hop beats. Frontman Ryan Lott is a performer so electric it’s impossible to look away. The set felt both carefully crafted and spontaneous as Son Lux played through songs from their freshly released album Bones. Lott looked like a magician, recording piano beats and then lifting his hands away as the music continued to play. The breezy yet gripping vocals were accompanied by technically tight guitar and drum work and the set left me cleansed, energized and ready for three more days of music.

Leeky Tearducts perform at the Palomino // Liv Ingram

Leeky Tearducts, HexRay — Palomino Smokehouse

I decided to keep the night going at the Palomino Smokehouse with a set full of lo-fi Canadian punk bands. Leeky Tearducts’ lo-fi pseudo-surfer rock and HexRay’s fuzzed-out pop harmonies created the perfect soundtrack for a late-night BBQ feast.

Thursday’s Sled Island roster is even more stacked than last night. With performances happening across town from bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Lightning Bolt, Black Milk and Fu Manchu, it’ll be a night to remember — so get out and Sled on!

Tagged: