Pop Up to sell student art for a good cause

By Rachel Woodward, November 29 2016 —

On Dec. 2 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., That Empty Space will host the first annual U of C For She Pop Up Art Sale.

The event, organized by art student Anbareen Abeer and computer science student Yen Po Wen aims to bring art students to a more central spot on campus.

“The Arts Parkade is in the corner, it would be nice to bring the arts into the main building of MacHall,” Abeer says. “[We want to] connect art students to the community.”

Wen has been a member of the U of C For She club on campus for two years. Ten per cent of the proceeds from art sold at the event will go directly to Because I’m A Girl, a worldwide initiative that works to bring education to young women in less-developed countries around the world. The remaining funds will go directly to the artist.

“A lot of art students end up throwing their artwork out, so we were thinking we might as well sell. Ten per cent is going to a [good] cause and the rest goes to the artist so they are making money instead of just throwing out their artwork,” Abeer says.

The team will accept submissions for the sale through Facebook until Dec. 1. They have received over 100 submissions so far and hope for more by the time the event begins.

Though artists will determine the selling price of their artwork, Wen and Abeer hope prices remain under $20 to still be accessible for students to purchase.

Wen and Abeer hope in the future this event will take place twice a semester, but will wait to see the outcome before moving forward.

The U of C For She Pop Up Art Sale will take place in That Empty Space on Dec. 2 from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Submissions will be received until Dec. 1 through their Facebook page.