Courtesy Cineplex

Cineplex brings 17 classics to theatres

By  Aurora Anderson, January 31 2017 —

The eighth annual Flashback Film Festival will return to Calgary as a fresh look at popular classic films. Presented by Cineplex Events, the only coast-to-coast film festival in Canada promises a line up of sci-fi, fantasy and drama classics returning to the big screen.

Film critic and television personality Richard Crouse curated a lineup of 17 of what he calls the “most blood-pumping, thriller-inducing and heart-warming films in cinema,” which will
screen in 24 cities across the country.

Films will show in Calgary at Cineplex Odeon Eau Claire Market Cinemas from Feb. 3–9. Some of the titles fans can expect to see include Pulp Fiction, The Princess Bride, Fight Club and Jurassic Park.

Cineplex Events vice-president Brad LaDouceur says he’s excited for this year because of the change of venue. The festival is moving from the Scotiabank Theatre Chinook to Eau Claire.

“[The] big screen and immersive experience [is] great for fans,” LaDouceur says. “[The festival] allows new fans of film the chance to celebrate it with friends and family on the big screen.”

LaDouceur says the films were visually remastered so they screen just like they did when they were first released.

“They are remastered so we see them [the same as] how they were released,” he says. “There’s got to be a film everyone wants to see in this festival.”

LaDouceur says one of the benefits of a coast-to-coast festival is that Canadians across the country have the ability to see the same movie as their friends in different cities.

With many films such as The Fifth Element and The Princess Bride celebrating their 20 and 30-year anniversaries, LaDo ceur says the festival is a great opportunity to celebrate the classics. And with sequels like T2: Trainspotting 2 coming out this year, the festival will give fans of the classic an opportunity to revisit the originals.

Pricing for the festival varies. The 17 films will be screened across the country from Feb. 3–9 at various theatres.