Photo by Melanie Woods

The Gauntlet receives Quality Money funds for office renovations

By Melanie Woods, April 4 2017 —

Our office is about to get a makeover.

Students’ Legislative Council voted 11-0-1 to approve the recommended list of 20 projects for Quality Money funding on March 28. The list of projects put forward by the Quality Money committee amounted to just over $2 million in total funding.

After submitting a Quality Money proposal in November 2016, the Gauntlet will receive $492,694 for the “Gauntlet Office Renovations” project.

The current Gauntlet offices, located at 319 MacEwan Hall above the Black Lounge, will undergo full renovations this summer. The goal is to improve the experiences of volunteers and staff, make the office more accessible and bring it up to the standards of other spaces in MacHall.

The Gauntlet office last received renovations in 2007 // Photo by Melanie Woods

Improvements will include new flooring, walls, lighting and furniture. The current editor-in-chief office and archive room will be torn down to open up the space, while the current business office will be converted into individual offices for the business manager and editor-in-chief, as well as a photo studio.

The entryway will be opened up and made wheelchair accessible. We will install a small kitchenette with a sink and countertop, as well as a private meeting room where sources can enter the office for interviews. The office will include quiet workplaces for volunteers, a large social area with couches and a drop-down screen for presentations.

The Gauntlet has occupied its current space since 2001. We received $52,814 in Quality Money funding in 2007 to complete minor repairs and open up the office. The Gauntlet office remains one of the only spaces in MacHall to not undergo full renovations in the last 15 years.

Construction will likely begin during the spring semester and should be completed by mid-August 2017.

The Quality Money program is a joint effort between the University of Calgary and the Students’ Union. Every year, the program awards approximately $1.6 million in funding to various campus projects. Students, staff, faculty and campus groups are eligible to apply for Quality Money funding.

The projects will next go to the U of C Board of Governors in May for final approval. If they are approved, funds will be distributed throughout the summer.