Photo courtesy Will Markey

Dinos women’s fastball team brings home the bronze at Nationals

By Kristy Koehler, October 9 2018 —

Facing adverse weather conditions, the Dinos women’s fastball team won the bronze medal at the National Championships in Saskatoon over Thanksgiving weekend. This is the second time in history the team has medaled at the National championships, after winning a silver medal in 2011.

“We went 31 in the round robin earning us second place overall in the standings,” said head coach Neal Harlos. “I’m very proud of the team and how the girls played this weekend especially considering they haven’t played in the three weeks prior.”

The team played their last game on Sept. 11 after road games for the two following weekends were cancelled. In addition, the league playoffs were also cancelled due to wet and snowy conditions across the Prairies.

“The highlight game was our round robin game against the University of Saskatoon,” said Harlos. “We were down 60 in the second inning and fought our way back. Going into our last bat at the bottom of the seventh we were down by a score of 106 and won the game 1110.”

Two Dinos players made the all-star team — Emma Jerome Smith as catcher and Libby Wheeler as utility player.

The University of Regina ultimately won the gold medal while Durham College earned the silver.