Graphic by Valery Perez

What to expect from Sex Week this year

By Julieanne Acosta, February 13 2023

Every year, students at the University of Calgary participate in Sexual and Gender Wellness Week. This year’s Sex Week is happening from Feb. 13 to 17 with the kick-off event starting at 11 a.m. All week students can expect a wide range of events revolving around the topic of sex. 

In an interview with the Gauntlet, Vice-President of Student Life Adrian Alcantara explained why students can benefit from this week of events. 

“It’s really an opportunity for the campus community to explore anything and everything that’s related [to sex] in an approachable and non-judgemental way,” said Alcantara. “We’re trying to aim to provide a safe space where students can openly discuss and engage on topics surrounding sex and gender.”  

The kick-off event on Feb. 13 is a carnival that will run from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Alcantara noted that there will be a prize for students who come and talk to more than five vendors. 

“[The carnival] will feature booths from on-campus and off-campus vendors and counselling support,” said Alcantara. “If you talk to five vendors, you’ll get cotton candy. There will be games from different organizations that will be coming including the SU Q Centre, Women’s Resource Centre, the Residents Association involving Sexual Education (RAISE), and Queers on Campus.” 

Alcantara also touched on this year’s lineup of events and what students can look forward to. 

“On Valentine’s Day, in the South Courtyard, we will be having what we’re calling an inclusive Valentine’s Day cards [activity]. People can come in and write one for their friends, loved ones, etc.” said Alcantara. 

“On Feb. 15, the SU Q Centre will be hosting a Trans 101 panel,” he continued. “Certain topics will include terminology, respect, and the journey of individuals during transition. [On the same date] RAISE will be doing in that empty space called De-Stigmatizing Sex Work. It’s going to be a bit of an art exhibition.” 

Finally, Alcantara notes to students the importance of coming out and learning. 

“We really hope that students will come out to all these great events and learn something new. I hope they have lots of questions and can ask and really get to talk to all the different vendors and panelists,” he said. 

For a full list of sex week events, visit the SU website.