Courtesy Mitch Kloorfain

A Summer of Date Ideas

By Nikayla Goddard, April 27 2017 —

Summer is right around the corner, and if you’re in the dating scene, you know that this is prime time to get out there with potential lovers while you aren’t stuck inside writing papers and completing labs. This is your time to shine, so make your summer dating count.

Challenge your date to some friendly competition by taking them on one of the fun obstacle course runs Calgary has to offer this summer. Whether you are both intense athletes looking to up your game or you just want to get dirty and have fun, there are runs with a variety of lengths, prices and themes around Calgary for you to choose from over the warmer months. A few that are guaranteed to get you dirty include X Warrior Challenge on May 13 at Stampede Park, Colour Me Rad on June 24 at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Mud Hero from August 12–13 in Red Deer and Zombie Survivor on August 26 at the Cochrane Agricultural Society. Be sure to check out your options online, as prices can vary and some request charitable fundraising in order to join.

If you’re not in the mood for a restaurant meal, check out Calgary’s many food trucks. Donuts, ice cream, perogies, chicken and waffles, curry — you name it, and there’s a food truck out there for you and your date. Not sure where to find them, or just want to know if the taco truck is open at 1 a.m.? Check out yycfoodtrucks.com to track your favourite trucks and see where to grab a bite.

Go on a double — or triple — date and hit up an escape room for an afternoon or evening. For about $25 — although group bookings are often cheaper — you and your friends can solve puzzles under the pressure of time. Find clues, decode mysteries and put your brain to the test to work with your team in order to escape. Every room has a different theme — whether you are trying to escape from the Illuminati, got locked in your grandparent’s attic or are secret spies, it’s a unique and fun date.

Get some exercise and learn more about the city you live in and love. Jane’s Walk allows participants to partake in exploratory tours walking around neighborhoods in Calgary. With over 200 walks in 88 neighbourhoods across the city, the locally organized tours allow discussion, storytelling and sharing among walkers as they analyze a neighbourhood through its history or in the present day. The festival started in 2008 in Toronto and began to spread to other cities who wanted to adopt their touring model to allow citizens a chance to connect through their local neighbourhoods. Now in its 10th year, Jane’s Walk aims to create community connections in the citizen-led walking tours — check out their website, janeswalk.org, to find out about walks for you and your lover to embark on.