Roger Jackson’s impact on U of C

By Taylor McKee, October 23 2014 —

Roger Jackson’s impact on the landscape of sport in Canada and the University of Calgary is vast and multi-faceted. As an athlete, Jackson won gold in coxless pairs rowing at the 1964 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, despite only training with his partner, George Hungerford, for a few weeks before competing. Jackson also received the Lou MarshAward — presented to Canada’s top athlete — in 1964 and represented Canada at the 1968 and 1972 Summer Olympic Games.

After retiring from competition, Jackson turned to academia. In 1970 he earned his PhD in Biodynamics, and in 1978, Jackson was named dean of the faculty of physical education at the U of C. He later the found the Sports Medicine Centre on campus in 1988.

Jackson has served as the director of Sport Canada, president of the Canadian Olympic Association, president of the Canada West Athletic Association, CEO of Own the Podium, and he was named to the Order of Canada in 1983.

The building bearing his name at the U of C, the Roger Jackson Centre for Health and Wellness Research, opened in June 2005 and fast became a leading centre in multi-disciplinary research.

What makes Jackson’s career unique is the variety of contributions he has made as an athlete, academic and builder. Jackson’s impressive resume has cemented his place among Canada’s most influential sports minds.