Illustration by Shanaz Pasha

Has Thursden lost its mojo?

By Aneeka Sandhu, March 26 2019 —

The thought of a university having its very own nightclub is the most exciting thing for any first-year leaving home for the first time — well, at least it was for me. A space for partying, drinking and general debauchery located in the heart of campus is thrilling. 

When I think about the time I’ve spent over the last three years at the University of Calgary, particularly the more enjoyable parts, Thursden is a big part of that. However, the decline in Thursden’s popularity is becoming more and more prominent, especially when I remember how lit Thursden used to be. 

Flash back to first-year me at Thursden. It’s move-in week for residence and I have no friends. I’m officially a loner. I’m scared and very, very awkward. 

It’s nearing Thursday evening and everyone is restless. We hear about this party on campus where the campus bar turns into a club. “Thursden.” No one really knows what it is or where it is even located on campus. Myself and a group of girls on my floor — they too being loners — decide to see what it’s all about. 

Like any first-year’s night out, we start off by pregaming in my room before heading over. The queue to get in is about an hour. This had better be good. 

We walk in and it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen. There’s booze everywhere. The place is crowded. Everyone is going wild. At first, I was kind of disgusted at the state of everyone. And then I was shocked that this was even allowed to happen on campus. 

And then I was amazed. 

In awe. 

It was one of the best things my 18-year-old eyes had ever seen. It was an epic night of dancing and imbibing.

Now, picture third-year me at Thursden. It’s Thursday night, I’ve had a long day of classes and my head is ringing. I have five assignments, all of which are due next week. 

But hey, it’s Thursday. I can spare a couple of hours. 

The music is blaring, making my head ring ever louder. 

I officially have a headache. 

The floor is really sticky and I hope it’s just from spilt alcohol. The smell is making me nauseous. Aside from the handful of drunk first-years, the dance floor is basically empty. The music bounces off the walls and echoes so loud you can barely hear anyone. I look around and it’s just very… sad. 

Eventually I get bored and I realize that no amount of alcohol is going to make me enjoy this setting. It’s only 10 p.m., but it’s time to go home.

The difference between the atmosphere of Thursden in my first and third years is huge. Although the venue is pretty small, the decline in its popularity has to be caused by something else. I mean, it has everything you’d need — good music, cheap(ish) drinks, loud music and spotlights.

It all boils down to what else is offered in the city. Thursden is losing its popularity because students are finding different places to party. There are places with more space, more lights, people to mingle with other than U of C students and a spot for a decent group picture against a pretty backdrop.

Today, I enjoy The Den as a restaurant and bar, not a club. It’s a place where students can go for some food or a drink for lunch or after class. Thursden was fun while it lasted, but now it’s time to move on. If Thursden wants to attract more students as a club, it seriously has to step up its game. 

Maybe I just grew out of that first-year phase. But Thursden has lost its mojo.

bar, not a club. It’s a place where students can go for some food or a drink for lunch or after class. Thursden was fun while it lasted, but now it’s time to move on. If Thursden wants to attract more students, it seriously has to step up its game. Because right now it’s just boring.