Photo by Bradley Dezall

Wrestler Drew Persson and swimmer Anders Klein recipients of the Gauntlet’s Extra Effort Award

By Kristy Koehler, April 9 2019—

The Gauntlet was honoured to present two awards at the 52nd Annual Night of the Dino. The annual awards banquet, held on April 9, celebrated the awards, championships and individual athletic performances of members of the University of Calgary Dinos varsity sports teams. The Gauntlet’s Extra Effort Awards are presented to those athletes who go above and beyond to contribute to their team’s success.

This year, the recipient of the Extra Effort Award for male athlete was awarded to swimmer Anders Klein. This year, the Dinos men’s swim team caught up with their Vancouver rivals, the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds, even leading them in points after the first two days of the U Sports National Championship in February. Second-year athlete Klein was a major factor in the Dinos success. He took home the bronze medal in the 100- and 200-metre backstroke in addition to a bronze in the 4×100-metre medley relay. He stresses the team aspect of swimming and showcases a continually positive attitude.

The recipient of the Extra Effort Award for female athlete went to wrestler Drew Persson. This year, the Dinos hosted the U Sports National Wrestling Championships. Not only did Persson come fifth in the tournament, she placed third at Canada West and won an award for community service. She spends her off-matt and out-of-class time helping to develop younger wrestlers, as well as volunteering in a retirement home. The Gauntlet was impressed with Persson’s commitment to Dinos wrestling and her off-mat activities to support the community.

Both Klein and Persson return to their respective rosters next season to continue the tradition of Dinos’ athletic prowess.