Dinos win secures No. 1 in Canada West

By Stephane Arnault, January 15 2015 —

The University of Calgary Dinos [10–3–4] women’s hockey team defeated the University of Saskatchewan Huskies [10–3–2] 4–1 on Jan. 9 at Father David Bauer Arena.

The contest was a battle between the two hottest teams in the league, with both clubs entering the night on winning streaks.

With the victory, the Dinos leapfrogged the Huskies into first place in the Canada West division.

“I think this team has come a long way,” said Dinos forward Hayley Wickenheiser. “We really improved and we dominated tonight.”

Both clubs were playing their first game in over a month after the holiday break.

The Dinos showed no signs of rust in the first period, out-shooting the Huskies 15–6. Saskatchewan, however, took 12 minutes to register their first shot on goal.

Halfway through the opening stanza, Dinos forward Alexandra Vafina appeared to have scored on a breakaway. However, the goal was waved off. Vafina was rewarded a penalty shot, but it was stopped by Huskies goaltender Cassidy Hendricks.

In the final minute of the first, Dinos forward Heather Berzins battled hard behind the Huskies net to steal the puck. She then walked out front and roofed it top shelf to make it 1–0 Dinos.

The Huskies responded early in the second when Kandace Cook scored on a backhand after a flurry of passes.

Later in the period, Berzins received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for dishing out a questionable body check. To make matters worse, the Dinos took another penalty and found themselves on a shorthanded five-on-three. On the two-man disadvantage, Wickenheiser scored on a rocket shot on a partial breakaway to give Calgary back the lead.

“I said before the faceoff, if we have a chance with some open ice just to go for it,”

Wickenheiser said. “I saw a hole that was open so I just shot it and it went in.”
Wickenheiser wasn’t done there. Late in the second period, she fired a shot from the point that bounced off teammate Janelle Parent into the net. Calgary led 3–1 after 40 minutes.

In the third, the Dinos lit the lamp again through traffic when Kate Lumley’s wrist shot took a lucky bounce off a Huskies defender and in. It was Lumley’s first goal of the season.

Calgary outshot Saskatchewan 48–24 by the final buzzer.

“Sometimes we pass it around looking for the perfect play but tonight our goal was to put more shots on net because we know they have a good goalie,” said

Dinos head coach Danielle Govette. “When you put 48 shots on a goalie, at one point it’s going to pay off.”

The Dinos have the luxury of playing seven out of their next eight games at home.

“Being at home puts us in a good position to gain some points and get in a good playoff spot going into the last part of the season,” Wickenheiser said.

Dinos backup goaltender Carissa Fischer was steady when called upon, making 23 saves in the victory.

“We’ve had a long time off and I think for a goalie it’s worse because of the timing and the angling,” Goyette said. “I’m really happy with her performance and she deserved the win today.”

The Dinos went one-for-six on the powerplay, while the Huskies went zero-for-seven.

The Dinos will take on the Mount Royal Cougars in the annual Crowchild Classic at the Saddledome on Thursday, Jan. 15 at 5 p.m.