Photo courtesy GraysonSavio // Unsplash

The Gauntlet’s Guide to Halloween Twenty Nineteen

By Kristy Koehler, October 17 2019—

‘Tis the season to get spooky! October is almost over and if you haven’t planned your Halloween yet, you’d better get on it. Whether you’re looking for a trick, a treat or just a fab fall experience, check out the Gauntlet’s guide to Halloween Twenty Nineteen.

Haunted Calgary:

One of the longest-running Halloween attractions in Calgary, Haunted Calgary has a new home this year. The New Horizon Mall’s underground parking lot has transformed into 20,000 square feet of immersive horror. There are three attractions, the Deep Sleep Hotel, the Cesspool and the Sanitorium. 

General admission is $25 but for $40 you can fast-pass the line. Nov. 1 is glowstick night — all the lights are turned out and you’ll just have a glowstick to guide you. Nov. 2 is the registration-only Hell Night — prizes are awarded to the last person standing. 

When: Oct. 18, 19, 25, 26, 31, Nov 1 and 2.

Directions, tickets and more information online at hauntedcalgary.org.

Horror Movie Trivia at The Den:

Teams of 1–6 people compete to see who the ultimate horror movie fan will be. The top three teams get prizes — no cheating with electronic devices or notes. Trivia starts at 6:30 p.m. but half price appies start at 4 p.m. — nothing scary about that! Jugs of Den Lager are $12 all day and Copper Mug Mules will only set you back $5. Attendees must be over 18 and government-issued photo ID is required. Get there early as the event is subject to capacity restrictions.

When: Oct. 22.

More information on The Den’s Facebook page facebook.com/DenBlackLounge.

Calgary Farmyard’s Flashlight Nights:

Formerly known as the Calgary Corn Maze and Fun Farm, the Calgary Farmyard is still offering their 12-acre, two-phase maze. About the size of 10 football fields, the corn maze offers flashlight nights — a spooky adventure that will have you looking for a way out with just a flashlight, and hopefully some friends!

Flashlight nights run from 5–9 p.m., so you can get either there early and try the maze with some daylight left, or watch the pig races, snuggle some animals in the petting farm and enter the maze when the sun has fully gone down.

Tickets are $16.95 plus GST. 

When: Oct. 18, 19, 25.

Directions, tickets and more information online at calgaryfarmyard.com.

Calgary Underground Film Festival’s 12 Hour Halloween Movie Marathon:

Calgary Underground Film Festival is bringing back their all-night horror movie marathon. The Globe Cinema will be the site of seven Halloween movies — Extra Ordinary, The Evil Dead, Bubba Ho-Tep, Friday the 13th Part 2, The Slumber Party Massacre, Idle Hands and Creepshow.

You can try to keep your eyes open all night or come and go throughout the evening for the movies you like best. The concession will be open all night and the bar is open for the first four films. There’s also a costume contest at midnight and giveaways and prizes throughout the nights.

Breakfast will be served at 5 a.m. before the final movie. 

Doors open at 6 p.m. and the shows begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 or $18 for CUFF members, students and seniors. 

When: Oct. 26.

Tickets and more information online at calgaryundergroundfilm.org/halloween-movie-marathon-2019.

Fort Calgary Black & White Movie Nights: Halloween Double Feature:

Fort Calgary hosts regular Black and White movie nights in their recently-renovated Burnswest Theatre. For Halloween, there’s a special edition featuring the ‘50s classic Creature from the Black Lagoon and Alfred Hitchcock’s original Psycho

Snacks and cocktails are available and movie-goers are encouraged to wear costumes. If you’re dressed in costume, you’ll be entered to win a prize. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the freaky films begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 and include a treat bag.

When: Oct. 25.

Directions, tickets and more information online at fortcalgary.com.

Butterfield Acres Pumpkin Hunt Date Night:

This event sells out every year. It’s a sweater-weather, autumn-leaf-loving good time. The farmyard opens at 5 p.m. and ticket-holders get to visit the animals before the pumpkin hunt begins. A tractor-pulled wagon will take you out to the pumpkin patch where you’ll carve it and enjoy a campfire complete with hot chocolate and s’mores. 

It’s an adults-only event and ID will be checked at the door. All attendees must pre-purchase tickets — they’re $19.95 plus GST.

When: Oct. 19, 20, 26 and 27.

Directions, tickets and more information online at butterfieldacres.com.

Grim Manor:

Four haunted houses and 10,000 square feet of terror await you at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park. There are also performances by 5¢ Freakshow, Hank & Lily and DJ Qbert & The Fresh Crew as well as comedy daredevils Ryan Stock & Amberlynn. Performances vary by night, so check the online schedule if there’s a specific performer you want to hear while you scare yourself silly.

The scares start at 7 p.m. Haunting stops at 11 p.m. Sun.–Thurs., and midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

When: Oct. 18, 19, 25, 26, 27, 30, 31, Nov. 1 and 2.

Directions, tickets and more information online at grimmanor.ca.

Field of Screams:

Boasting six haunted houses, Field of Screams turns Cobb’s Adventure Park into a horror show. The same macabre minds that brought you Screamfest are responsible for this outdoor adventure. Twenty acres are available for exploration and the haunted houses come in varying degrees of spine-chilling.

If you get too freaked out, you can cuddle a kangaroo at the petting zoo until 7 p.m. After that, it’s just you and the night. 

Tickets are $26 and the haunted houses are open from 6–10 p.m.

When: Oct. 18, 19, 25 and 26.

Directions, tickets and more information online at fieldofscreams.ca.

Murder Mystery Dinner: A Night at the Grimmies: 

If you want your Halloween to be a little more interactive, Fort Calgary is hosting a murder mystery dinner. This show, put on by Pegasus Performances, tells the tale of the cast & crew of the worst horror film ever made, ‘Hallowiener Beach Party‘ and their night at the Grimmy Awards.

Doors open at 6 p.m. and so does the bar. By 6:30 p.m. actors will be roaming the dining room, delivering clues to you and your guests. Dinner and the show begin at 7 p.m and you and your table will solve the mystery over dinner at 9 p.m. 

Tickets are $85 and include your meal.

When: Oct. 31.

Ghostbusters in Concert: Halloween Spooktacular: 

Class up your Halloween with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra.

The classic Ghostbusters film featuring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis and Ernie Hudson will be accompanied by the CPO in a live performance of the Grammy-nominated score. You’ll also hear the famous chart-topping theme song.

Friday night’s event starts at 7:30 p.m. while Saturday offers a 2 p.m. matinee performance.

Tickets range from $25–$85. If you attend on Friday night, your ticket includes an epic afterparty with a costume contest, photo booth and chance to meet the Alberta Ghostbusters.

When: Oct. 25 and 26.

Directions, tickets and more information online at calgaryphil.com.