The secret to dope DIY bathing

By Tori Taylor, September 25 2019 —

Bathing is not just a child’s bed-time game. Adults have taken the simple tub soak and dialed it way up. For many of us, the ultimate relaxation at the end of a hard day can be found with a glass of wine and warm bath. A necessary addition to any bath is the heavenly bath bomb. For as expensive as they can be in stores, bath bombs are actually quite simple to make. Invite some friends over and have a DIY bath bomb night — please note you can also enjoy a glass of wine while making bath products.

There are very basic ingredients needed — citric acid may be the only unique one. Bulk Barn carries citric acid in bulk for a good price and you could likely find it at any Community Foods or Planet Organic.

Baking Soda:

This is a base ingredient necessary for alkalizing and creating that fizz we all love when the bomb hits the water. 

Citric acid:

Without citric acid, your baking soda will not react in a “bomb” like fashion and your bath bomb becomes a very sad bath fart. 

Sea salt or Epsom salt:

These salts are great for muscle soreness, aches and pains and have anti-inflammatory properties. They will tingle and add that invigoratingly fresh feeling to your bath.

Corn starch:

This is the agent that provides the smooth-skin feeling. It is a make-it or break-it ingredient as without corn starch you won’t be left with soft and hydrated skin after you towel off.

Oils:

You can choose any type of hydrating oil you want for your bath bomb. I recommend avocado oil or almond oil for the anti-inflammatory and deep moisturizing benefits. Avocado oil reduces redness and helps heal any type of skin irritations or discoloration — similar to the branded product Bio-oil. However, you can use olive oil or coconut oil if you’d prefer.

Witch hazel:

This is a powerful skin toner and disinfectant. Adding witch hazel will help close open pores and calm itchy, dry skin. If you want you can swap out witch hazel for water in your recipe. 

Herbs and flowers:

This is a last bonus addition to make your bath bombs beautifully scented and visually appealing. You can add mint leaves, roses, dried chamomile, sage or lavender. You can also add essential oils like lavender, lemon grass, ylang-ylang or grapefruit. It is totally your preference. 

Making bath bombs requires an open space and the potential for mess so make sure you have a clean area to begin with — free of anything that may get ruined should oil or ingredients spill.

Bath Bomb Recipe:

1 cup Baking Soda

½ cup Citric Acid 

½ cup Sea Salt or Epsom Salt

¾ cup Corn Starch

2 tbsp oil of choice (recommended Sweet Almond oil or Avocado)

2 tsp Witch Hazel 

30-40 drops Essential Oil of choice

Additional dried herbs or flowers

Instructions:

Combine your baking soda, epsom salt, citric acid and cornstarch in a large bowl and mix well.

In a smaller bowl combine the oil, witch hazel and essential oils.

Add liquid ingredients into the large bowl slowly. Mixing in the liquid drop by drop as you blend. Use your hands.

Add in any herbs or flowers.

The consistency should hold its shape without crumbling — add more witch hazel if it’s too dry.

Right away, push the mixture into your molds or muffin tins. Press in firmly and leave for a minimum of 24 hours — 48 hours is preferred. They will expand. You can continue to push down the mold many times while the bombs are drying.

Metal molds are recommended for stronger more effective bombs.

Once the product is — dry you can store the bath bombs in plastic containers.

Use them within two weeks.